As made by Jens Hoffman in his blog, here is a tl;dr version of how to make your own blog on debian 7.0:
- enjoy having ruby installed by default
sudo apt-get install ruby-dev(to make gem work)
sudo gem install jekyll(install jekyll)
gem install rdiscount(an alternative C-based markdown interpreter)
- Either start with a vanilla template and get blogging:
jekyll new myblog(remember this is about content, not pretty looks)
- Or, look around a bit for other blogs/templates, fork them if allowed, then get blogging (what I did with Jens Hoffman's blog, which is based on Zach Holman's left template)
- You can review your work typing
jekyll serve --watchand going to http://localhost:4000/
- Stuff it in a github repository named
Now is also a great time to read a bit about Github Pages and the excellent Jekyll Documentation.
Víctor Cuadrado Juan
I'm Víctor Cuadrado Juan, a developer and FOSS enthusiast, in love with Linux. Currently living in Nürnberg, Germany. Feel free to waste your precious time around here, or to contact me: me at viccuad.me .